Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Deleted Rant by Ms LL

The below is a post by Ms LL, a local actress and now host of a reality documentary.

The other day, I was reading her blog and came across this gem of a post. She was ranting about some corporate fellow she encountered while filming the documentary.

Frankly, I know the post would not last, cos it was too vocal and fiery. Like her. Our dear Ms LL.

I would have to say I rather admired her passion in work. I mean no one can rant like that without some passion in her work attitude.

Personally, for me, if something similar were to happen to me, I would probably just yawn right through. I am passionate but just NOT that passionate.

So rather than let the post fade into oblivion which would be a great pity, I have reproduced the entire post from cache.

Enjoy!

(Names have been changed to avoid any embarrassment.)

foot

----------------------------

potentially offensive rant

Warning: The following includes a potentially offensive rant. It is the opinion of ONE person in the media. It might not reflect anyone else's even though there is truth in it. Read at your own risk.

The premise of UA (documentary Ms LL is hosting) is a good one - to provide viewers a glimpse to places previously concealed. No topic is taboo and no information privileged. That's what I thought I signed up for anyway. Unfortunately, I find that sometimes it seems more like a sanitized corporate video full of PR ho-hums than a look behind closed doors. Red tape, saving face, needing to protray what is deemed right and good versus what is accurate... reasons are aplenty. Not right nor wrong, just different outlooks. And my stance as a host is constant: What makes for good viewing? What does my viewer want to see?

(1) Intelligence.

I for one loathe the usual self-explanatory, imbecilic set ups common in our local shows. Eg. host enters shop and says "I am entering the shop". Actor in drama unleashes a livid tirade and the other actor (who obviously just ingested some stupid pills) asks "Is he angry?" Don't insult the viewers' intelligence please.

(2) Realness.

Haven't you seen enough of contrived, over-done flamboyance on telly? Keep it real dawg. Often the success of any script, show, acting is exacting the conveying what is not said.

(3) Dignity.

Because the tv biz (including the actor's job) is so reliant on sponsors etc, the station/production house/producer/actor often find themselves in the compromising position right below somebody else's ass. This can result in horrific PR plugs (tie in with gagging contrivance) and just something that is so not true.

And all the above points, ultimately, to objectively showing things as it is. It's there. Don't pretend it's not. Don't sugar coat it. Don't burden it with notions of superstition, righteousness, negativity etc. It is what it is.

So I am going on about it primarily because I feel bad. The ratings for UA has been stellar. Our first ep did better than the Finals of SI (local star search show for singers) and second ep even better! If the ratings were otherwise, I don't think I'll feel this sense of having jibbed the viewers. Some righteous part of me suffers the idea that you are watching a show that promises to deliver but doesn't.

And I particularly feel this way because we've been suffering a few miserable days at the shipyard. It is common to be accompanied by the reps from the corp office to ensure that things are ok and that there is no misrepresentation on our side about them (you know how things can be twisted in the media..) but my experience shooting there has been sickening. I shall be quick to qualify that I am voicing my personal opinions. Not the production company's, not the station's etc. They have their hands tied. I don't. Which leaves me free to opine.

Anyway, you know what shipyards are like - humungus machineries, inconceivably heavy loads, non-stop welding, 4-ton metal sheets, intense heat, 300,000 ton ships , great heights and great depths .. an invitation to accidents basically. I had to sit through 30 minutes of Safety Induction when I first arrived so I'm guessing I can't be far wrong. We were shown pictures of nails embedded in eyeballs (because the worker didn't wear his goggles), fingers lobbed off and broken thigh bones.. Zero Incidents is what they're aiming for and all you see everywhere are Safety signs. I was impressed to begin with - the meticulous design of a shipyard. The care of the workers for safety. I met with some wonderful individuals who are knowledgeable and passionate, most of all completely affable. So it was great until Mr Corp Com, our appendage throughout the entire shoot, appeared to vehemently insist that danger and accidents do not exist in a shipyard. He continued to shove it down our throats, and went so far as to dictating how and what to say and shoot. Which is 'safety this safety that because our shipyard is just so safe and excellent' and all that masterbatory propaganda.

I know it's their perogative what they want said or not. And they do have a company to protect. But this really crosses the line into disrespect, especially when there was a clear threat that any dissatisfaction on their part will directly impact the production company's next project with them. And while some aspects of their excellence and safety is true, the more glaring truth is the cover ups they are commiting. Big time gross.

So, is the shipyard interesting? Yes .. when we're able to find aspects that appeal. But certainly not when it is dictated for us what we are supposed to find interesting. With a gun to our heads to boot. I felt sorry for the director. He had to contend with an office schmuck directing his show.

Anyhow. I've had my catharsis.

Good news. Remember that meeting I had at MC (Media company that broadcast UN) ? I'd mentioned to the spectacular team there that some of the great materials we've shot are distressingly dumped on the cutting room floor. And because there has been such positive reviews and feedback from everyone of you (thanks guys), they realised that we might be able to post some of the censored bits online for you. So check out the MC site (I'll provide a link) - Ep 1's embalming bits are there.

I hope you realise the voice YOU have. You can try to convince the station what you might want to watch in the forum etc. Follow the civil defence to scenes of suicides and watch them scoop up scattered brain matter? What happens when an offender is caned? Who is the hangman at the prison? There is a plethora of topics I find interesting but am told that it is too far out. The production company can't do much either. Maybe you the viewer can :)

Posted by LL at 3/04/2009 09:57:00 PM

----------------------------

LL said...

I was told I should withdraw it as it could unleash a floodgate of negative stuff. I thought about it and figured that it didn't make much of a difference to me, and since it mattered so much to someone else, I could do them the favor of removing it.

March 9, 2009 10:44 PM

No comments: