Saturday, June 28, 2008

Bollywood Blogs, Anyone?

Bollywood is starting to blog big time......Read this article in the papers. Some of these blogs have interesting perspectives and such beautiful photos.

---------------------------------

The New Paper
26 Jun, 2008

Bollywood goes blogging

Stars such as Amitabh Bachchan & Salman Khan use blogs to counter gossip & promote their projects.

By Sheela Narayanan

BOLLYWOOD has taken to blogs like cats to catnip.

Hindi cinema stars like Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan and Salman Khan blog regularly. They use their blogs to counter rumours and the negative press they get, while publicising their latest film releases and projects.

Bollywood icon Amitabh seems to take his role as a blogger very seriously, writing long posts nearly every day. The 65-year-old veteran actor - who started blogs.bigadda.com/ab/ in April - regularly rebuts what has been reported about him and his family members, like son Abhishek Bachchan and daughter-in-law Aishwarya Rai.His blog gets more than 400 comments a day from his fans.

These celebrity bloggers have also been taking potshots at each other.

Aamir, who has been blogging for over a year at www.aamirkhan.com, criticised Amitabh's 2005 film Black, calling it 'manipulative' and 'insensitive'. There was a media hue and cry, and Aamir had to apologise to Amitabh. The 41-year-old actor-director set off another media controversy two months ago with a tongue-in-cheek post about a dog called Shahrukh.

Aamir wrote: 'Now, before you jump to any conclusions let me add that Shahrukh is the name of our dog. And before you jump to any further conclusions let me add that I had nothing to do with naming him.

'In fact, Shahrukh is the dog of the caretakers of our house. When I bought this house it came with the caretakers and their dog!'

In an interview with the Indian channel Times TV, Aamir said the post was written in 'good humour' and not as a dig at fellow star Shah Rukh Khan. He said: 'And that's how Shah Rukh took it. I am glad that we have such kind of a relationship where I am comfortable joking about him and he feels comfortable to joke about me in public.'

Even Amitabh has not been able to resist taking a swipe at Shah Rukh, who replaced him on the game show Kaun Banega Crorepati (Who Wants To Be A Millionaire) last year. He wrote: 'KBC 1 ran non-stop for almost two years and then with an adequate break (for) 2 and the 3. I am unable to understand its falling interest as the graphs show, despite the fact that they were presented by bigger and more popular stars, namely Shah Rukh.'

Amitabh later apologised to Shah Rukh in the media and on his blog.

Salman Khan, so far, seems to be above the fray. He has been sharing random personal thoughts, plugging his new game show Dus Ka Dum, and generally indulging in patting his own back on duskadum.blogspot.com. He recently wrote: 'I follow my impulses and spontaneity is the watchword for me. Most actors tend to be conscious and competitive. I never bother about stealing scenes from co-stars or out-shining others. I have done a lot of stage shows all over the world. I discuss and disclose my ideas freely.'

Joining this growing group of celebrity narcissists are directors Ram Gopal Varma and Karan Johar. Ram Gopal, 46, who recently directed Amitabh in Sarkar Raj, was persuaded by the star to take up blogging, and started rgvarma.spaces.live.com/blog/ in May.

He said: 'At first I laughed off the very thought of starting my own blog. I kept wondering how Amitji (Amitabh) would sustain the blog on a day-to-day basis. Then I saw how passionately devoted he was to it. I grew interested.

'Besides, everyone who is worth anything these days is blogging. I couldn't be left out, could I?'

And Karan has launched www.mynameiskaran.com. The 36-year-old host of talk show Koffee With Karan told The Times Of India that he started blogging because he thought it would be a good way for him to express his thoughts on cinema and 'things that don't routinely get space in the traditional media outlets these days'.

He will be contributing his thoughts only once a week, and his staff will oversee his blog.

'I don't see myself blogging from my sets when I start shooting Khan (his new movie)... or when I'm abroad for my various events,' he said. 'And the blog isn't to discuss my daily routine or my sexuality, although both may crop up when the need arises. But I'm not turning blogger to blabber about my life. God knows I do enough of that on a daily basis.'

Writer Anil Dharker told the India Journal: 'Earlier, the stars had to go through an intermediary - be it a reporter or a TV interviewer... On a blog, they have complete freedom. It gives them an opportunity to clarify things or... settle scores.'

Surprisingly, Bollywood's biggest star, Shah Rukh doesn't have a blog. The only blogging he has done was on the Kolkata Knight Riders website - he owns the cricket team - during the Indian Premier League.

He said blogging 'falls within the realm of journalism' and he cannot be a journalist.

Heart-throb Hrithik Roshan also hasn't jumped on the bandwagon.

Local blogger Hafidz Abdul Rahman noted that most of the Bollywood celebrity bloggers were men, adding that fans would like to see female stars like Aishwarya, Kareena Kapoor and Mallika Sherawat get in on the act.

Said the LaSalle graduate, 20: 'I am sure they would have plenty to say, especially Kareena and Mallika, who certainly won't hold back.'

No comments: