Saturday, June 28, 2008

Carbon foot print

After reading so much on carbon footprint, I finally have the chance to test out my own carbon footprint.

And my carbon footprint per year is....5.891 tonnes...I suppose.

The average footprint for people in my country is 12.2 tonnes.
The average for the industrial nations is about 11 tonnes.
The average worldwide carbon footprint is about 4 tonnes.
To combat climate change the worldwide average needs to reduce to 2 tonnes.

And to offset that, I either have to spend £ 63.00 to pledge 9 trees in Kenya (about 6.570 tonnes) OR £ 105.75 to pledge 9 trees in any UK county of my choice (about 6.570 tonnes).

Some of the questions in the carbon footprint test are not that easy for the layman to gauge. I mean how many people actually can gauge how much electricity, natural gas, cooking oil they used per year down to the last kWh and litres or last dollar? And how many can tell you how many kilometers they travelled by bus or subway in a year?

So yeah.....I dun think the questions are that practical! They are not exactly something that you can gauge without doing your sums monthly and diligently.

My carbon footprint is quite low, cos I dun drive or hardly travel by plane. I owned an air con at home, which I used only 3-4 times a year (Really! No kidding!). I dun cook at home that much either.

SO and I can afford a car but we have strongly resisted the temptation and social status that comes with having a car. We have taken public transport for so long and are so used to it, we dun really fancy the extra costs of having our own private transport. SO former boss had always pestered, persuade, convince SO to get a car, saying that a person of his status should get a car. In fact, some of his subordinates with half his pay possessed a car.

Though we did not buy our own vehicle, we did signed up with a car sharing co-op. Each month, we paid $60 and leased the car for 2 to 3 times a month. Each time, we paid about $50 for 10 hours of usage. We enjoyed the convenience of having a car, without actually owning a car outright.

And as for air conditioning, though we owned one, we seldom use it. No matter how hot and humid the weather, we always rely on the trusty fan. And if the weather is too hot, we switched on another fan. Frankly, SO agreed with me that we should not relied too much on air con. I have known so many people, who cannot sleep at night without air conditioning. In fact, without air cons, they could very well died in the middle of the night. Too pampered!

I do enjoyed the cold air of the air con, but I find it too much of a luxury. And not used to an air con, I dun think I am starting anytime soon.

So what's your carbon footprint?

No comments: