Monday, June 16, 2008

My dying love

Gin, the love of my life, my beloved terrier is dying. She is about 15 years old this year, a grand dame in doggy years. I had her since she was a few weeks old and she had been with me for most of these years. Except for the few years I moved away from home. But once I had my own place, I moved her back to stay with me.

She has always been a loving, patient little doggie. My previous dog, a Pomeranian lived only to about 10 years of age. So 15 years has been a blessing.

Since the beginning of the year, Gin has been showing signs of her age. There were a few occasions she collapsed after coughing. Her coughing has been getting worse. We had a heart ray done and the vet said she had a heart problem and that her windpipes were narrowing. All these are signs of aging. Other than giving her anti-biotic to help relaxed her pipes and cough syrup to sooth her throat, the vet said nothing can be done.

Frankly, I dun quite expect her to live beyond the year. Everyday, I live in fear of the moment that she would breathe her last.

Just this evening, as I was bringing her for a walk, she staggered and I had to carry her. She went all limp and soft, her energy all gone. But back home, she managed to recover.

She has been panting and smiling at me these few nights and it bloody hell scared me and freaked me out. And it broke my heart to see her this way.

Just a few days ago, on a walk, she just collapsed on the floor and gave a blood curdling cry that can be heard for miles. Frankly, I thought, that's it, finally and it really scared me to hell and back.

One of my worse nightmares was that I have lost her. There were several nightmares I had where she gone all missing and I cannot find her. I always woke up in tears and sweating and the first time I did was check she is still around and not missing.

Gin had a good life. If I am a dog, I want to be her. She was loved, had good food, good company, and a great life. I just dread the day that she would be taken from me and go to doggie heaven.

I am going for a blood test this friday and I did consider taking her to the vet since we lease a car for the day. But can the vet do anything? She is already at her end of her years. 15 years is really quite an old ripe age for canine.

I was also thinking of bringing her to the groomer after the vet, but I am so afraid that she would collapse and just drop dead at the groomer.

SO refuses to let me take her to the vet on Friday cos I have a medical appointment on Saturday. It is the day the doctor would test my blood level to access if my liver condition has worsen. SO is afraid that if she dies at the vet or groomer, I would not turn up for the medical appointment.

My heart is heavy. Gin is the love of my life, she is my sister, best friend and daughter, Frankly, I do not know what to do without her around.

No comments: