Thursday, June 5, 2008

Going numb and blind

Today I had two scheduled medical tests at AH. I had complained to the doctor on my previous visit 2 weeks back that my last three little fingers on my left hand were numb. I also told her about the grey black spots that appeared in my vision under bright sunlight.

We arrived bright and early at AH's Clinical Measurement Unit for my nerve tests. There were a few people sitting around waiting their turn. I had arrived earlier than my scheduled appointment and was surprised that when the actual appointment time came, I was shown into a room punctually.

I was greeted by this rather petite lady, whom I later found out to be a medical technologist. Her duties was to perform a series of electrode tests on all my fingers on both my hands to test their nerve functions.

The technologist was quite friendly but eh...there was a certain smell about her. At first, I thought she had body odour, but then later, I realised the smell was coming from her shirt. It was a sourish sweat smell, which took me a while to get used to.

Frankly, I did considered telling her about the smell but I did not cos I really dun know her and she might constitute such frankness as rudeness. Besides, she might feel embarrassed and that could maybe spoilt her day.

If it was someone I know, yeah, I would tell them about their sweat smell or BO or certain smell, so that they could take note and do something about it.

I remembered when I was working as a temp many years back. There was this young girl in the accounts department who had really bad BO. I really hated entering the accounts room cos the room reeked of her sour BO. I asked around why no one told her and how they could have worked in such an environment. The accounts people said that they were used to it and they thought it was rude to tell her she got BO. So no one did. They just held their breath until they got used to it. That was so kind and yet so stupid!

People with BO could not smell their own foul smell. Someone need to tell them so that they are aware of their problem and do something about it. If I have BO, I want to know, so I can do whatever to treat it. So yeah, I will tell most people tactfully, unless I think they cannot handle knowing. Maybe then, I would drop heavy hints.

I am digressing. Anyway, the nerve test took about 3o mins. The medical technologists attached electrodes to each finger and test the nerve reactions as she ran a minor electrical current through them.

I asked her if the results were normal. She said most of my fingers nerves were normal except for the last 2-3 fingers on my left hand. She repeated certain tests on those fingers to verify her results. She told me she could not give me a detailed report. She would submit her findings and her superior would generate a report, which a doctor would explain to me on my next medical appointment.

-----------------------------------

My next appointment was at the Ophthalmology and visual science clinic for my eye test. This clinic was crowded and most of the patients were old folks in their 50s. I felt out of place. Had my eye condition gone so bad that it is similar to those of senior citizens? Am I going blind?

After registering and waiting for 15 mins or so, they called my name for an eye test. There I was lead to a darkened room, where a nurse checked my eye sight. There was a series of rows of numbers a certain distance away, and she made me read certain rows to check my eye sight. She checked the right eye first and then the left eye. And then she repeat the test with this dotted glasses. With the dotted glass, some of the rows which I could not read initially, I could see. I ought to get myself a pair of these glasses, which I know is available in some pharmacy.

Then she led me to this eye examine machine where she asked me to look into. The inner of the machine was this bright photographic picture of a long straight road with blue skies on both sides of the road. She then told me she is going to spray something into my eyes and asked me to focus looking into the machine.

After the eye test was completed, I was next asked to wait outside for a eye doctor.

After waiting for what seemed to be ages, a young doctor came out of his room to call my name.
He introduced himself as Dr EC and sat me down. Dr EC was this stocky hairy fellow with short hair and bouncy butt. His voice was rather high pitch whiny tone but not feminine.

He then started to ask me a series of questions like when i noticed the dark spots in my vision, if I had any eye trauma or fall or whatever etc. Then he asked me to stare and focus into his machine lenses as he examined my eyes. He directed me to look right, look left and look straight.

Frankly, it has been a long time since another man except SO stared so intently into my eyes.
Gosh, he must be staring for more than 15 mins.

Maybe cos due to his age....late 20s?, I dun really think he was that experienced. Frankly, I wondered if he found the real cause about my eye condition? All he could said was it did not seemed to be retina detachment. And these dark spots also sometimes known as floaters and flashers are signs of aging. He said that people just have to live with it cos it is not something that can be treated with medication, eye drops or surgery.

Sigh...I was a bit depressed on hearing this. I had read up all on floaters and flashes before this, but this verbal confirmation of my eyes made me realised that my eyes are failing. I always had perfect eyesight. While a lot of my classmates were struggling with glasses, I have always been glasses free and now I am young and my vision are showing these signs of aging. By a certain age, I would probably go blind!

While checking my eye sight, our thighs and knees were pressed against each other. And yeah, as I told SO later (who called me a slut!, that bitch), it has has a long time since I pressed my knees against another man's thighs or had my thighs pressed against by someone's knee.

Gosh, I sounded so desperate and deprived. Ha! It was a certain intimate moment that was mostly corny and very awkward.

Anyway, Dr EC told me to wait a while and that he would get a senior doctor to confirm his diagnosis. Sigh...that shows that he is as inexperienced as I thought he was.

The senior doctor, Dr S arrived and directed me to look into the lens of the machine as he examined my eyes. He was quick in his diagnosis. He was able to detect in less than 5 mins that I have floaters and that I also have the beginning of cataracts in my left eye. He explained that that would account for the bright flashes as I watched TV.

This was something that the young Dr EC could not detect despite staring at my eyeballs for ages. Anyway, Dr EC told me that I have to check into the hospital immediately should my vision worsen drastically in a short time. He gave me a follow up appointment in one month time.

----------------------------------

Frankly, eye sight is the most important to me. I would rather go deaf or mute than be blind. I got this great fear of darkness. I would rather die than live a life in darkness. I can survive without hearing, without speaking but seriously I dun think I can function without seeing.

Let's see how this goes in one month time.

No comments: