Sunday, June 15, 2008

Going Retro

I was at the Gramophone music shop, waiting for the movie, "Prince Caspian" to start. There were lots of these contemporary CDs available, yet these days I find myself going retro.

Recent music bores me. I had a listen to Madonna. "Hard Candy" but those songs just dun appeal to me. Maybe they would after a second listen?

Browsing through, I came across "The best of Chaka Khan". Frankly, I had never bought any of her CD before. Of course, I know who she was. A black chick with a great voice. Since the CD was on sale and costs only $9.95, I thought, why not?
Photobucket
I looked through the song lists and the only song I recognised was "I am Every Woman", which Whitney Houston covered.

Since I am buying retro, I thought I might as well be looking for Aretha Franklin. I never bought her CD either, but I did know the song, "RESPECT". There were 2 Aretha's CD, one of which was only love songs, and another, Her best....but neither included "RESPECT". I couldn't find any other Aretha's CD. Well, maybe another day.

Then as I was walking towards SO for him to make payment, I saw "ABBA Number Ones". It was a China parallel import version and it costs $11.95. Frankly, I dun really mind any version or any type of import. Made no difference after I transfered them to my Ipod and phone.
Abba
I have heard of Abba before, but i always thought they were rather cheesy and corny. I remembered a classmate in school who was an Abba fan. He owned all the albums and could practically sing all the songs. Yeah, i found him to be corny and cheesy, especially at the time, the top bands were Spanadu Ballet, Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys. I did felt that his taste in music to be rather old fashioned and conservative.

But now, retro is back. Along with modern singers like Amy Winehouse and Duffy, who sounded retro.

And yeah...I am transfering them to my Ipod and phone soon.

Since I am going retro, I am searching for Dusty Springfield next. I guessed I am just fashionably slower in taste than anyone else when it comes to music.

----------------------------------

By the way, Gramophone is having a warehouse sale. They have about 100,000 DVDs/Vinyls (from $3) and CDs (from $1)
flyer1
flyer2
Date: July 4, 5, 6
July 4 is only for Gramophone VIP customers/UOB-Singtel Platinium Cardholders as well as SAFRA members.

Location: SAFRA Tampines, Multipurpose Hall
11am to 9 pm

No comments: