Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Dark Knight vs Hellboy

I finally got the chance to watch Dark Knight today. It has been showing in the cinemas for quite some time. In fact, the show is probably ending it's run in 2 or 3 weeks time.
Dark Knight
I had great expectations for the show. In fact, I had planned to watch the show twice in cinemas for that theatrical experience. But that was before I stepped into the cinema today.

The show was not quite what I had expected. I had heard and read about how dark the movie was. But the movie was just okay. Yeah...it was dark but not that dark! In fact, I felt it could be darker still!

But would I watch it twice in a short time like a few days later? Nope. It was too draining. The first time was already quite a torture, with the movie clocking at above 2 hours.

Heath Ledger was in his element. It's a pity he died young. You can see the psychotic madness that he portrayed as the Joker. There would never be another Joker like him again.

Christian Bale as Batman was overshadowed by his stellar co-actors like Heath Ledger, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine. Even Aaron Eckhart displayed better acting skills.

The one person who was worse was Maggie Gyllenhaal as the girlfriend. Gosh...2 words can be used to describe her. Old and ugly.
Photobucket
SO was nudging me a few times during the show, whispering....she's ugly. That I have to agree! She looked so old that she looked more like Bale and Eckhart's elder sister than the love of their life!

As for trying to look sexy, forget it! I cringed every time she appeared on screen, so I was pretty glad she got killed off in the middle of the movie! Hurray! That's means she will not be appearing in any future sequel. If she is coming back or resurrected as some sort of villain or watever, I am going to boycott the sequels.
Photobucket
And did you look at her face? There are 2 deep wrinkle lines that slope 60 degree down from the inner corner of her eyes which I found to be very distracting and disturbing!

SO and I think Maggie bears a passing resemblance to Kirsten Dunst, the one who acted as Spiderman's girlfriend. Kirsten was also not that eye pleasing in that movie. So was Maggie cast cos she looked like Kirsten? A competition of the super heroes?

Frankly, I am not a fan of Katie Holms but I think Katie looks much better and younger! I would rather see Maggie's brother Jake drag as Batman's bitch.

And I am not the only one who thought Maggie was fugly (fucking ugly). Google her on the net and read about other audience's reactions to her looks and acting on Dark Knight. I mean the role did not need to flex much acting chops so why couldn't they get a prettier and younger actress?

Another person who did not looked as good on screen was Chin Han.
Photobucket
He was not that natural on screen. His acting was a bit awkward and eh ...un-moblike. And for the second half of the show, he was cowering in fear like an idiot.

Frankly Chin Han has not aged that well. His skin is starting to sag. Especially his eyelids. One eyelid's excess skin gave his face an unbalanced cock eye look. And his nose looked kinda big on screen close up. Sorry to say this but to survive in Hollywood, he needs to have some nip and tuck done pretty soon.

I have seen Chin Han before in person, many years back and he was dashing then. And eh...both his eyes eh....looked balanced and symmetrical. No what they did now.

Aaron Eckhart was great to watch on screen. He is like the male Barbie doll, Kent.
Photobucket
He could be the Batman, should Christian Bale decided to drop the bat cape. He really brightened up the screen with his looks and presence.

However, I felt that Aaron could be more forceful and evil in his role as the villian, Two Face. His 2 face role was not that much different from his role as Harvey Dent. Frankly, I could not feel his despair and madness as two face. His portrayal was different as compared to Tommy Lee Jones, his predecessor Two Face.

And then there was Edison. His role? A joke! His was a 3 second blurry appearance as a security guard! Even the mob henchmen got longer screen time! And Edison was boasting about his role in the Dark Knight some months back ! Frankly, it was a blink and you will miss it kinda of role. Edison should really sack his agent for getting him such an insignificant role.

One of the things that impressed me the most in Dark Knight was the Bat Pod.
Photobucket

Photobucket
How cool is that? If they ever sell this model on the street, I might just take up motorcycle lessons.

Frankly, the Dark Knight is a must watch. It is draggy at times. Some people may find it too dark but it is definitely one of the best movies this year.

----------------------------

We rushed off after the Dark Knight ended to another cinema. I was determined to catch Hellboy 2 today.

I have been planning to watch this for weeks. And most cinemas only have 1 show per day as the movie is ending its run soon.

We managed to get the tickets which was nearly fully booked. The only seats left was the 1st row. In fact, just as we were paying for the tickets, the whole movie for that timing was sold out.
Photobucket
Hellboy 2 was interesting and entertaining. Compared to the Dark Knight, it was not as dark. In fact, it was a pretty average movie inspired by comics.

SO fell asleep during certain parts of Hellboy 2. In fact, he was starting to nod off and drool. I had to nudge him a few times to wake him.

What was interesting in the movie was the variety of new characters like the tooth fairies, the Angel of Death etc. But maybe there was a overload of creatures?

The movie was a bit draggy and boring at times. What worked for me was the fact of seeing a comic book come true to life as a movie. ( I have never read Hellboy comics before)

I enjoyed the movie as much as I enjoyed Dark Knight.

I think this movie is okay. Not a must watch, unless you are into fantasy and imagination and comics stuff.

No comments: