Monday, August 25, 2008

Dun sweat the small stuff

This one is also from the Oprah show and also nearly made me cry.

It's also about a book, Don't sweat the small stuff by Richard Carlson. Richard Carlson passed away on 13th Dec 2oo6.
Photobucket
The book is a guide to be happy, to live in the moment and about putting things into perspectives. In other words, Don't sweat the small stuff.

When we take anything as very big deal, it kept us stuck and did not allow us to move forward. So dun make little things into great big deals.

After all, on your dying day, is it going to matter? Live each day as if it was our last.

As narrated by Richard on Oprah.

When are you going to die? In 50 years? 10? Today?

I often wondered when listening to the news, did the person who died in the auto accident remember to tell his family how much he loved them? Did he lived well? Did he loved well?

When people looked back on their lives, they wished their priorities had been quite different. They wished they had spent more time with the people and activities they truly loved.

----------------------------

Another book that touched me was a book written by Richard Carlson and his wife, Kristine.

The book is An hour to live, an hour to love.
Photobucket
Richard wrote a very touching letter to his wife, Kristine on their anniversary.

If I had an hour to live, I would tell you who I wouldn't call.

I wouldn't call my financial planner or my CPA. I wouldn't be checking my voice mail, my email or my palm pilot. I always wonder if the world would come to an end if I didn't get to all these things.

I wouldn't be calling anyone who owe me any money. Life isn't about keeping track after all. As it turns out, it is easier and a lot more fun to simply give things away and be happy about it. In the end, it takes far less energy to give than to receive. What's more, giving provides its own sources of joy.

I have never met a single person in my life, who said to me, I wished I have been less kind or less generous.

I have struggled with my weight in recent years and I can tell you with absolute certainty, I wouldn't be calling my dietitian or a physician. No, I am certain that any extra weight I am carrying would be as important as my bank account, zero.

If I had one more hour to live, I wouldn't be calling the lawyer, who would be handling all my stuff after I am gone. I have always seems like a burden to me, as if I am tripping over it all.

I have to buy it, clean it, store it, keep it, insure it, keep track of it, find a place for it, move it around, replace it, update it and now in the end decide who gets it next. Who cares!

Now, if I only had an hour to live, and I could only make one phone call, it would be to my life partner, Kris.

No comments: