Thursday, August 21, 2008

Same birthdate, different destiny

I just watched a TV documentary "Birthday Pals". This particular episode showed 2 people sharing the same birth date, but as they were born in different countries, their lifestyle and destiny are starkly differently.

Ly Long was a child born in Cambodia. He lived in a small 5m by 2m illegal log cabin by the river with his widowed mother and 4 other younger siblings. He had to collect rubbish for recycling to survive since he was 8 years old. Working for 10 hours daily, he would exchange the trash collected for about US$0.50, which he would give to his mother to subsidize family expenses.
Lylong
His father, a drunk who died some years back was a violent man who used to beat his children and wife.

Contrast that with a local girl here who was born on the same day. She came from a well-off family, is able to afford music lessons, a laptop and even vacations to Japan.

Her family loves her and is able to give her most of what she wants. And yah, she lives in landed property.

Happiness encompasses totally different meanings for different people. To him, happiness means 3 full meals a day and a roof over his head.

They may be born on the same day, but they have totally different destiny.

It could happen to either of us. Any one of us could be born in a poorer, less developed country, living in poverty. Most times, it's not really our choice as to the families we are born into.

Some of us are luckier than others. Some people are born into wealth, live in private landed property, have maids, cars etc.

Others have to work hard just for their daily meals and a decent roof over their head.

I am not considered well off. I am just okay average. I dun have a maid, no credit card of my own, no car, no property of my own. I also dun own any branded clothes, shoes, bag, luggage, watch or jewelery. And I have never taken a luxury vacation that cost more than $1000.

Some years back, I came to realise that all these materialistic things are fleeting, we cannot bring these things forward when we die. Hence, I dropped out of the corporate rat race, to engage in a simpler and more fulfilling lifestyle.

I do not have to worry about my meals and have a decent roof over my head. And for that I am happy and grateful. Not to mention peaceful. And I dun take things and people for granted.

Sometimes, simplicity is really a form of happiness.

Anyway, to learn more about Ly Long, read how he overcame odds from dump yard to school yard.

And to help children like Ly Long, visit Worldvision and sponsor a child.

Anyone can become a child sponsor for $45 per month and through this monthly donation, World Vision ensures that your sponsored child and his/her family receives the following benefits: Food and Agriculture, Clean Water, Healthcare, Education and Literacy, Economic Development.

No comments: