Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Bonny lies over the ocean

I remembered Bonny. Bonny, the local super model when I was growing up. Bonny, the face that graced a hundred magazine covers.

I was trying to search online for any old photo of her but was unable to find any. She, the face of a thousand photos, now has none online.

The only information I could find of her online was her namesake thrift shop at the Bonny Hicks Education and Training Centre and the entry on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I did not know Bonny personally but I have met her twice. It was many years ago. I was young and taking French lessons at Alliance Francaise near Orchard road. And one evening, as I was waiting for class to start, she sashayed in in from the main road.

All eyes were on her. She had that illuminating presence.

I dared not talked to her. She was a famous celebrity, a top model and writer. Her books had came out and she was gracing magazines covers.

I heard that she was rather friendly. During a book signing, a fan had chatted with her and they even exchanged contacts. She did not brushed that fan off, like some other celebrities. She was that down to earth.

And me, I was intimidated. I would never talk to a stranger, especially a celebrity. Even now.

When I was living in Newton, there were quite a few celebrities neighbours like James L and the gf-now wife, Diana S. There was CHW, another actor and several others.

There were times when we even shared the same lift but I never looked at them direct or spoke to any of them.

Sometimes SO would get all excited and point to them from afar. But I dun think it was appropriate. If I am famous, which I would never be, I would not like people to hound me either.

Anyway, back to Bonny.

Even if I knew that she would die within a few years from our meeting, I dun think I would have approached her when I met her years ago.

I would just sit in a corner, admiring her from afar.

But maybe, if time could go back, I may just approach her and ask if we could take a photo together.

Rest in peace, Bonny!

---------------------

New Paper
27 Aug 2008

Recall Bonny Hicks

Mum spends birthdays at crash site

Bonny Hicks Daughter's death anniversary falls on her birthday

By Maureen Koh

TIME, they say, heals all wounds. But for Madam Betty Soh, it merely numbs the grief.

Life, she tells you, still has to go on. 'Even though there's no meaning to it anymore,' said the mother of former Singaporean model Bonny Hicks.

Her only child was killed in the SilkAir MI 185 crash in December 1997. The fateful date - 19 Dec - has only made her loss more excruciating for it was Madam Soh's 57th birthday.

Bonny was 29.

'How do you celebrate life when it is marked by the death of someone dearest to you,' she muttered, lost in her thoughts for some seconds.

Then, as if she feels the need to comfort herself, Madam Soh asked: 'Is this normal? The quick flashes of pain I feel?'

At this reporter's affirmative assurance, she nodded and heaved a sharp sigh of relief. The tears took some time to stop and that's only because she had found another way around her sorrow, Madam Soh added.

However deceiving it seems, it is her way of coping with losing her beloved daughter. 'When it gets too painful, I just think of it like she's living apart from me, like it was in the past,' she said.

Then, as Madam Soh had to work, her own mother had taken care of the young child.

When Bonny turned 12, they moved from a HDB flat in Toa Payoh to Sentosa, where Madam Soh had accepted a caretaker's job to look after a bungalow. With mixed emotions, she recalled: 'In some ways, maybe it was a good thing that Bonny was rather independent.

'She moved out when she was 19 and was roughing it out on her own.'

At the time of her death, Bonny was living in Jakarta with longtime boyfriend Richard Dalrymple, better known as Randy.

Madam Soh added: 'I try not to think too much of the Bonny I lost. Instead, I rejoice at the wonderful daughter I once had.'

And each year, she spends her birthday at the bank of the Indonesia's Musi River, the crash site near Palembang.

Bonny's remains were never found. Only her wallet and credit cards were recovered. 'Even though it's painful making the trip, it's something I must do,' she said.

And until the next year comes along, Madam Soh tries to fill the void in her life.

She bought a membership to the Singapore Recreation Club, where she goes for her weekly swim on Tuesdays. Occasionally, she plays mahjong with close friends when they do not have to mind their grandchildren.

Madam Soh no longer does volunteer work at the Singapore Council of Women's Organisations. She used to work in the thrift shop at the Bonny Hicks Education and Training Centre, where she packed and arranged items people donated for bargain hunters.

'Difference in opinions' was all she would say.

Treasures

To assuage her loneliness, Madam Soh took on her brother's suggestion and pitched in money to buy a three-storey property in the east last year. She moved in together with his family in March, along with poignant reminders of Bonny.

At the driveway's end stands a Buddha artefact, surrounded by potted plants. A stone's throw away is a Balinese cabinet, one of Bonny's favourites. In the living room, another cabinet and a bureau share the space with the TV stand, while framed pieces of abstract art add life to the stark walls of the home.

With a gentle sway of hands, Madam Soh said: 'All these were from Bonny's Jakarta home. She had such a love for them.'

In her room on the second level, a glass cabinet stands next to a large bookcase. And it is evident at once that the spot is much like a shrine to Bonny.

Luxurious tote bags and handbags occupy the top-most shelf of the cabinet. Several rings, bracelets and watches lie neatly on another spotlessly clean shelf.

Madam Soh, who read the question before it was asked, said: 'Yes, I clean them every day.'

It is a ritual she sees to personally each day, even though the family has a maid. 'I treasure them too much to let someone else do it,' she said.

Just as cherished are the variety of photos that adorn the bookcase, which offer an intimate glimpse into Bonny's life. Such as the candid shot of a precarious girl with a toothy grin or the one of a vivacious teen with her friends.

Then, there are those that mark her adult years - from catwalk struts to posed portraits, one of Bonny with her first boyfriend, others of her and Randy.

It is in these photos that Madam Soh finds solace. She said: 'Always smiling, that's my Bonny.'

No comments: