Sunday, July 6, 2008

Changing my name

I have always hated my name. I always thought it sounded too common, cheesy and corny.

Whenever someone called me by my christian name, I wondered who they were addressing. I never felt the name belonged to me. I never felt identified with my birth name.

When I was in primary school, I was one of those rare few who had christian names. My parents were catholic and my parents actually inserted those names in our birth certificates and identity card.

For years, I wanted to change my name. I toyed around with a few names and I was just too indecisive to make a final choice.

It was around 10 years ago that I seriously wanted to have my name legally changed. By somehow, I always gave excuses that I was too busy or whatever.

This year, the thought of changing my name crossed my mind again. I made plans to have it done via deed poll in june and then applied for my new identity card and passport.

June has came and gone. I still have not changed by name yet. I knew all the details, the procedures and yet something is holding me back.

One of the main reasons I told myself was that I wanted to have the "perfect" photograph for my IC and passport. And so far, I have not taken THAT photo yet. My skin have cleared up since my last laser treatment in Feb this year and my face have slimmed down and features sharpened.

Another concern about changing my name is the hassle of informing the authorities and those companies like banks, insurance companies , telco etc. Some organisations require that you go down in person and give them a copy of the deed poll and new IC. How troublesome is that!

And then I have to reapply for new ATM cards, credit cards under my new name etc.

But since, Gin is dead. I felt I have nothing to lose. I felt that I had to do something for myself. Something I wanted to do for a long time but have no guts to do.

Yeah....I am going to taken that photo and regardless of how it turned out, I am going over to the authorities and change my name!

------------------------------------

Documents Required

For Applicants via iC Online
  • Visa or MasterCard Credit Cards/MasterCard Debit Cards for online payment
  • One recent digital passport-sized colour photograph that meets the following specifications:
    • Image file in JPEG format ('jpg' extension) with a file size of not more than 60 kb
    • The photograph must be taken within the last 3 months
    • The photograph should be in colour, must be taken against a white background with a matt or semi-matt finish
    • The photograph image must show the full face and without headgear (headgear worn in accordance with religious or racial customs is acceptable but must not hide the facial features)
    • The photograph cannot be taken in uniform
  • Existing identity card (front and back)
  • Registrant’s name in ethnic characters (i.e. In Chinese, Jawi or Tamil Characters)
For Applicants at the Counter
  • Current Identity Card
  • One recent passport size photograph that meets the following specifications:
    • The photograph image must be taken within the last 3 months
    • The photograph should be in colour, must be taken against a white background with a matt or semi-matt finish
    • The photograph image must show the full face and without headgear (headgear worn in accordance with religious or racial customs is acceptable but must not hide the facial features)
    • The photograph cannot be taken in uniform
  • *Baptism or Religious certificate for insertion of religious name, if any
  • *Deed poll for change of name, including ethnic name, if any
  • *Marriage Certificate for insertion of married name, if any
*Bring along the original document and a photocopy.

------------------------------------

Procedure

Applications via iC Online
  • Submit the application online at the iC Online website.
  • Wait for the e-mail notification on the collection of the new IC

OR

  • Check the status of your application at the iC Online website
  • Come in person to IC section, Citizen Services Centre with the required supporting documents (as stated in the collection notice) to collect the new IC.

IC Section
Citizen Services Centre
3rd Storey, ICA Building
10 Kallang Road
(Next to Lavender MRT station)
Singapore 208718

Operating Hours:
Monday to Friday : 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.
Saturday : 8.00 a.m. to 12.30 noon

Note: Your identity will be authenticated via thumbprint matching at the collection counters.

Applications at the Counter

  • Come in person to IC section, Citizen Services Centre with the required supporting documents to register for the new IC.

Counter 1, IC Section
Citizen Services Centre
3rd Storey, ICA Building
10 Kallang Road
(Next to Lavender MRT station)
Singapore 208718

Operating Hours:
Monday to Friday : 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.
Saturday : 8.00 a.m. to 12.30 noon

  • Take a Q-number and wait to be called
  • Produce existing Identity Card and any other supporting documents
  • Complete the application form
  • Make payment of S$60 and collect the receipt
Note: The receipt must be produced when collecting the replacement IC (in person) on the same day. Your identity will be authenticated via thumbprint matching at the collection counters.

Fees
S$60

Applications via iC Online
Please make payment online by VISA or MasterCard Credit Cards or MasterCard debit card.

Applications at the NETS or CashCard upon collection of the new IC.

------------------------------------

Processing Time

Applications via iC Online
3 days

Applications at the Counter
Application would be on the spot and the new NRIC can be collected on the same day. However, the waiting time for the collection of the NRIC would be longer.

Peak Periods to Avoid
  • Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays, school holidays, eve and the day after public/school holidays
  • After 2.30 pm on weekdays
  • After 11.00 am on Saturdays and school holidays
There is generally a larger crowd in March, end May, June, end November and December.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=140&secid=72

No comments: