Friday, July 4, 2008

Death of a Doctor Part 2

One of the most popular post of this blog had been "Death of a Doctor". And yesterday, as another visitor visited my blog, he or she left a trail from Google, which led me to the deleted and lost post of Dino about the doctor Adrian Yeo.

Dino had deleted or locked up his post about AY after the papers published excerpts of that post.

But the thing about internet technology is that once something has been posted online, the information remained online, (in some dark remote server somewhere) even though the original information has been deleted.

I had been wondering about that lost post. I wondered about the last days of AY and what kinda of person he had been in real life. There was hardly any real life information on AY, the person. And frankly, I am glad that I found the information.

I have considered whether to post what Dino had deleted. I could have kept the information to myself but I am sure that some where, there is also someone like me, curious about a dead person whom we have never met. Or maybe, someone who did knew AY once and now wanted to know what happened.

I have read the post and found it to be sincere and touching. So I have posted it verbatim.

For all those who knew and for those who did not knew AY. His memories would live on.

-----------------------------------

Jun. 23rd, 2008 at 10:31 AM

I'm sure many of us remember the story of Dr Adrian Yeo, from exactly 2 years ago.

Dr Adrian Yeo was then a houseman then, who, in a terrible terrible incident, was lured by CNB officers posing as gay men to source for drugs, and bring them to a sex romp.

Although he refused initially, the CNB officers were persistent, and insisted repeatedly.. so he finally relented, turned up, and was arrested for possession of 0.16g of methamphetamine.

I'm sure many of us remember how outraged, saddened and disgusted we were by the entrapment.

I'm sure many of us remember the outpour of discussions on the unfairness of the situation.. or how gay men who use drugs are dangerous to society anf should be put away behind bars. My mother, for one, immediately called me to warn me repeatedly not to do drugs.

I'm sure many of us remember the Newpaper article, which slanted Adrian's story to maximise shock value to describe how gay men use drugs to get "hot" for wild sex, and how they use drugs to "cool down".

Dr Adrian Yeo was sentenced to 8 months in jail.

NHG was quick to drop him.. SMC wanted to deregister him; and not allow him to complete his housemanship.

Then UN got to know about his case.. and offered to buy his bond over if Singapore does not want him.

Singhealth, then, decided to take him back, and allow him to complete his housemanship.

I got to know Adrian about a year ago. I was doing a psychiatry posting in SGH, and he was doing his last 2 HO postings..

I was in W46A, and he was in W46, on the other side of the door.

Andy knew him prior, so we got acquainted and started talking.. going for lunches, chatting.

We would talk about his dark times during the incident, his aspirations.. what postings he wanted to do after housemanship, his cute colleagues; he was too busy with housemanship to date at that time..

I was undergoing a dark dark period of my life, after the trouble with Singahealth and SMC.. so he offered me advice, encouragement and shared his experiences.

He often called to ask me how my case was going, and to update me on his pending medical registration.

The last times I saw him were in December 07 - we went out for a drink at Robertson Quay, and went for a friend's housewarming party on another occasion.

The last time I spoke to Adrian was somewhere in December 07.

He had called me, with a mix of excitement and disappointment, after he had FINALLY received his medical registration with SMC.. but it was only a conditional registration, and not a full one. But he had come a long long way to get to where he was.

On Thursday evening, Andy and I were informed by a friend that Adrian was critically ill in ICU, and given 24 hours to live. He had been suffering from what seemed like a viral infection, which presented as a persistent cough. He was admitted for observation, then discharged well..

2 saturdays ago, as he was resting at home, he suddenly had a bout of massive hemoptysis (vommiting of blood), and was admitted to hospital. On sunday, he desaturated, and collapsed, requiring intubation.

His father told us that his last words to his brother, asking him to go back home to bring some clothes for him. They then discovered that his platelets were low.. and despite resuscitation and transfusion, it remained critically low..

The doctors think its some form of intractable ITP.

He never regained consciousness after Saturday.

Dr Adrian Yeo passed away on Friday, 20 June 08, in the afternoon.

He was a good man; one who has had a hard life, and who, despite all the setbacks, achieved his dream of becoming a practising doctor.

He will be dearly missed, by myself, by Andy, and all his friends.

No comments: