Monday, July 7, 2008

Motorola Bluetooth Adapter for iPod D650 Part 2

Frankly I am NOT a great fan of wires. I have been looking out for a bluetooth accessory ever since I bought my Ipod classic in May this year.

I was quite interested in the Motorola Bluetooth adapter for Ipod D650 since I saw there is such a product from a brochure I picked up while shopping. I did my research online and even tried to enquire online as detailed in this former blog post.
Ipod650

I was in the area of Motorola service center yesterday after watching the Hulk. And so after the movie, I dragged SO into the Motorola shop besides the service center in Cathay, Handy road.

They did have the product! And the best thing was that it only cost $68! So cheap! So much cheaper than I expected! Actually I was expecting it to be $100 to $150!

They did have another type of Ipod bluetooth adaptor. But that one was much bulkier and more expensive (above $100). And it was made for Ipod video generation and earlier.

I was initally not sure which one to get or which one was suitable for my Ipod classic. I dun want to waste my money and get an adapter which does not work.

So I asked the sale staff. Frankly, the guy is clueless. He was also not sure if D650 was suitable for Ipod classic. But he willingly took it out of the box for me to examine. It wasn't stated in the box packaging. So he pried open the box and took out the manual. The manual did not quite state if it is suitable for Ipod classic either.

In the end, he did offered to let me try it on my Ipod. Luckily I brought my Ipod along that day and it fitted like a glove.

I bought the thing on the spot! I was so excited! My Ipod is finally going to be wireless! Finally!

Photobucket
It took some minutes of fiddling and handling before I was able to pair the adaptor to my bluetooth headset. Af first, I thought it was not compatible with my Ipod. But when paired, it worked like a charm!

Apple should seriously think about bluetoothing their music players. Who likes wires!

Anyway, the D650 Bluetooth adapter is so easy to use. There is no switch button, just plug it into the Ipod, turn on the bluetooth headset, and press play on the Ipod. That simple!

I am proud to say my ipod classic is NOW bluetooth enabled!

Now I am seeking a good bluetooth stereo headset.

----------------------------

Update: 3 August 2008

This post has been a very popular search item. Quite a few of the visitors to this post were searching for instructions to pair the D650 to the ipod.

So here's the instructions as indicated in the manual.

Step 1. Put your stereo device in pairing mode.
Place your stereo device into pairing (discoverable) mode. For details on pairing mode, see your own stereo device manual.

Most stereo device pairing mode is to hold the ON button on a few seconds longer than usual till you get the rapid blinking lights. That means the stereo device is ready for pairing. But this varies from device to device, so check your manual.

Step 2. Put your ipod in PAUSE Mode.
Ensure that your ipod is on and in Pause mode. If music is playing, press PLAY/PAUSE button on the ipod to pause.

Step 3. Connect the Motorola adapter D650 to the ipod.
Connect the adapter to the ipod via the dock connector.

Step 4. Set your adapter to seek for your stereo device.
Press PLAY/PAUSE button on your ipod to search for your stereo device. The indicator light on the adapter first becomes steadily lit (for about 7 secs) then it begins to flash rapidly. After about 5 secs, the indicator light flashes more slowly to indicate the adapter is in pairing (searching) mode.

When your adapter sucessfully paired and connected wiuth your stereo device, the indictator light changes to a slow pulse and you should be able to hear music on your stereo device.

If you managed to pair the stereo device and adapter correctly, you dun have to do it every time you want to use the adapter. You just need to do it once!

But if you failed and there is no music from your bluetooth stereo, try Steps 1 to 4 again.

Personally I tried pairing several times before I managed to get it paired correctly. In fact, I even thought initially that the Motorola is not compatible with ipod classic.

It's a great product and cheap too. The music quality is not affected by the adapter, it is totally dependent on the bluetooth stereo device.

3 comments:

packfan said...

Iplugged the D650 adapter into my IPOD and immediately got a frowning face on the screen and it froze up.I finally got my IPOD to go into disk mode but i am afraid to try the adapter again for fear of losing the 20 gig of music on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iWicked said...

According to the manual, your Ipod need to be on and in PAUSE mode. If music is playing press PLAY/PAUSE on the ipod to pause.

Then connect the adapter to the ipod via dock connector.

Unknown said...

It separates from the Nano easily. I ended up using a hair tie to keep it connected. I'm not sure if it's related but I would occasionally get a "skipping/cutting out" with the music.

PC Headset To Iphone Adapter