Friday, July 4, 2008

SO was nearly scammed

Reading about scams reminded me of an incident that happened some years ago.

SO was working in the central area and once as he was passing Sim Lim Square, this young lady came up to him. She gave him some cock and bull, sob story about how she got no money for food, her mother in hospital and her younger siblings have not eaten for days.

SO of course turned her away. And then he stayed in a corner to observe. He saw her approached another guy. It seemed that this lady approached only guys and old ladies.

He also saw that some guys gave her $10 or other amounts of money.

I have seen her in the area before, after SO pointed her out to me when we were passing by the place. She was ordinary looking and dressed shabbily in a T shirt.

Unfed? Oh please! She looks plumb! Not skinny or lean. If you have not eaten for days, show some bones. She certainly looked very well fed! In fact, she probably had more than 3 meals a day!

Do such people think they are making easy money? Just by standing there and looking pitiful, she could get about $30 to $50 per day. That means she can get about $900 to $1500 a month. All without working!

She looked healthy enough. And obviously intelligently enough to know how to look pitiful to scam money. So...get a job!!

I have not been back to the area for quite a while. If I ever see her scamming again, I have a good mind to report her to the authorities. I did this not out of spite. I am directing her to proper venues to get proper help! How long can you beg/scam....whatever she called it?

And the thing is how stupid could she be? She was at that area so often. Dun she knows people could recognise her and realise what a con she really was? Actually she had approached SO more than once!

Next time, if I am in the area, I would try to take a photo of her and expose her scam!

No comments: