Saturday, July 5, 2008

Novena Church

The Exorcism court case involving the Novena Church has brought back memories of the church.

My mother was a devout catholic. She made us go to Novena church every saturday when we were younger. I think we went to Novena Church every saturday afternoon since I was 5 or 6 years old. And at that time, across the church was this row of shop houses. And before church, our parents would brought us there and bought us sweets. A few years later, the row of shops houses were torn down.

Photobucket

My mother liked to park herself right in the front row of the church. Not the wooden seats. But the leather kneeling ones. One had to kneel through the entire session. I think my mother thought it is more devout to kneel throughout and her prayers would stand more chances of being answered.

Frankly, I hated that! I hated being right in front of the whole church. I felt that the whole congregation was staring at us and staring at our asses and our backs. My father would on the other hand stationed himself outside the main seating rows.

Did I enjoy the church service and the sermons then? Not really. I was too young to really understand what the priest was talking/preaching about. I had no patience and no interest in those things then.

I went to church with my parents and sister till I reached secondary school years. I was busy with school work then and well...was a teen. Teens dun like to go out with their parents. At around that time, my parents' relationship had started to sour and my mother would go to church on her own every week.

I think my mother went to Novena for many years after that. I dun know if she still visit Novena Church though. I do know she still visit a church these days. Maybe one that is nearby.

It has been a long time since I went to Novena. The last time was when I was in my junior college years. I was depressed. I had not gotten in the JC of my choice. I felt suicidal and well.. lost. So I went to Novena for solace. I did not know why I ended up there. Maybe I was hoping to get some prayers answered.

I did not get any consolation there and then. And I never went back. I dun think I was expecting my prayers to be answered though. I sank into depression after that.

I still believe in God. I just stopped going to Church.

I have been thinking of going back to church recently.

In my youth, I had been scarred by friends who brought me to some charismatic churches. There were speaking in tongues, healing sessions, rowdy and joyous, loud singing of praises to God. And there were heaps of young teens and young people.

I dun really like that. I am a low key person who dun really seek attention and these types of worship just freaked me out. My preferences was for something more subtle and quiet. And also I found out that these young people went to those churches to socialize, not to pray. It was an IN thing, an IN place where other young people hang out and have fun. But I felt it wasn't for me.

There is a church just a few hundred metres from where I now live. When I looked out of my living room window, I can see the huge cross structure on the church roof top.

Maybe, one day soon, I should pop by and see what time their services start on weekends.

And also maybe I should pay a visit for Novena Church again. For old times sake.

No comments: