Monday, July 28, 2008

This dude called Edison


-------------------------

The New Paper
27 July 2008

6 MONTHS AFTER SEX TAPE SCANDAL...

I'm hurt but... I DON'T BLAME EDISON

Gillian Chung calls ex-beau 'coward' for not facing press earlier but admits he paid high price

AFTER six months of lying low following her involvement in the Edison Chen sex photo scandal, Gillian Chung has broken her silence.The bare-all article, which reveals the Twins singer's feelings after explicit photos of her were leaked online, was released yesterday.

It is titled Angels In The World, a compilation of articles about Emperor Entertainment Group artistes.

She wrote about Edison: 'I was silly and naive to have fallen for the wrong man. 'I was once deeply in love with him and I have no regrets. Nor do I hate him. 'Since I loved him, I should not blame him. He has already paid a high price for it.'

The Hong Kong singer-actor had taken explicit pictures of himself and various female celebrities over five years. They surfaced on the Internet in January this year.

Gillian had stopped work since February after the sex scandal broke, leaving Twins' other member, Charlene Choi, to appear at public functions alone.

Apart from revealing her feelings about Edison, she also said she wished he had faced the media when the scandal first broke. 'But he chose to be the 'coward', forcing me to face the hounding press alone and admitting that I was the person in the sex photos,' she wrote.

'Since he is the guy, he should be the one to speak out first. But he never did. 'How could I be the one admitting it first? What should I, as a girl, say?'

Chen held a press conference a few weeks after the scandal broke. He apologised for the photos and has since left the Hong Kong entertainment scene.

Gillian has arguably suffered the worst backlash as her successful Twins career was built on a 'good girl' image. Her public apology was widely criticised. The media slammed her composure as a sign of lack of remorse. She also became a target of public scorn.

Gillian wrote: 'I did not cry during the press conference because I really did it (posed for the pictures). I did it and had to admit it.' She added that she had taken tranquilisers before the press conference, so she 'could not think clearly of what to say' at that time.

As for Charlene, Gillian said: 'We have worked together for six years and are very close to each other. 'After the scandal broke, I apologised to her repeatedly. She was very supportive and gave me a lot of encouragement.'

Gillian added: 'I felt I had affected her. If not for Charlene and her career, I would not have held a press conference to admit that I was involved in the scandal. 'I am part of Twins, so I have to be responsible for her too.'

She also wrote that she had been learning dancing and English for the past few months. On how she will face her future, she wrote: 'I will stand up bravely and continue my career in showbusiness.'

The other celebrities involved in the scandal include married actress Cecilia Cheung and former actress Bobo Chan.

On Thursday, a Hong Kong court jailed clerk Kwok Chun Wai, 24, for two months on three counts of publishing obscene articles between 29 Jan and 6Feb. He was given a suspended jail term of two years.

Two other men will be tried later this year, with Edison expected to be a witness.

No comments: