Friday, July 11, 2008

Re-installing web applications on Nokia N95

When I got back my Nokia N95, they did installed the latest N95 firmware as promised, which is version 21.0.016, created 14-02-08.

To check what version your N95 firmware is, just type *#0000#

However, some of the applications which I have installed in the phone were gone.

I have spent the last few hours to research and reinstall some of the web applications on nokia...and here's for archiving purposes.

Firstly, I reinstalled Opera Mini. Opera Mini is a great mobile browser. I think it is better than the pre-installed Nokia browser. I discovered this when my Nokia browser crashed on me a few weeks back and I have been using it since then. And now though my Nokia mobile browser is back, I think I will still continue to use Opera Mini.

The Opera Mini Browser download is here. And yeah, it is advisable to sign up for an opera account so that your bookmarks can be synchronized. I am glad all my bookmarks and web feeds are still intact online and I dun have to waste time to reinstall that.

Secondly, I upgraded the Share Online. The version in the phone is 2.0 The latest version for Share Online Nokia N95 is 3.0 and comes with Flickr, Vox, and Ovi pre-activated accounts.

Share Online version 2.0 dun have those accounts. I was trying to install Vox and Flickr accounts on SO 2.0 but gave up even after installing the configuration files, as advised online by Nokia.

Vox configuration file is below.
http://www.vox.com/services/config/vox_configuration_file.cfg

Flickr configuration file is below.
http://www.flickr.com/services/atom/config/nokia/nseries/flickr_configuration_file.cfg?dl=1

Both files are to be transferred to the phone via Data Transfer, not PC Suite.

Since adding the 2 configuration files did not work, I thought of installing the Share Online 3.0 and this automatically adds in Vox, Flickr and Ovi.

Just activate the Vox, Flickr and Ovi accounts and they are ready to be used.

The last application I installed in the N95 was the Vox standalone application. This application would install an icon on the phone and you can upload photos and posts from the application onto the Vox blog.

Nokia N95 belongs to Series 60 3rd Edition (Nokia).
And the download to Vox application is http://get.typepad.com/VoxS6030.sisx

No comments: